This case study is on how MK team worked with one of the leading IT enabled services organization and helped them improve usage of their IVR system while reducing AHT .
Founded in 2002, the Client is dedicated to creating one ecosystem for all consumer important information – on the desktop, in the cloud, and on mobile. The company transforms the digital and paper documents into useful, organized information for their clients, which we support through our BPO services. Their integrated system of software, hardware, cloud service and mobile app makes it easy to acquire, search, share, and access the most important information, anytime and anywhere.
Industry: IT-Enabled Services
Several customers needed to reduce substantial percentages (50 %+) of traditional live voice to “smart” guided IVR to significantly reduce non-sales voice time and increase overall conversion. Accuracy in caller identification and support requirement was the key.
The goal of the project was to enhance client’s existing IVR system with a more robust system that:
- Allowed improvement of accuracy,
- Helped in detailed process mapping to identify the demand drivers and existing workflows aimed to enable the client to visually characterize their key processes,
- Increased caller identification and support level rates,
- Simplified and improved the IVR experience.
MK BPO agents utilized Spoken Communication’s (Now Avaya) Smart IVR solution to support the client’s requirement. The solution addresses the challenge of speech recognition: the issue of accuracy by blending the best automated speech recognition engines with the safety net of real-time human correction.
Our team of highly trained and dedicated agents were trained to be ‘Silent Human Guides’ who monitored the client’s call queue at the backend, making pinpointed utterance corrections in real time to improve the accuracy of the speech recognition capabilities, resulting in increased routing accuracy and reduced opt outs. The hosted solution supports grammar based speech recognition with human assistance or guides, enabling a 100% automated, self-service environment for the customer that eliminates caller frustration and dramatically improved call routing.
The ‘Silent Guide’ BPO agents from MK monitored tens of thousands of traditional voice calls monthly. When the automated speech recognition engine (ASR) gives a caller’s verbatim utterance a low confidence score, instead of repeating the question, the Smart IVR flags the utterance for the Silent Guide to correct while immediately sending the caller on to the next prompt. The silent guide needs to be quick and highly accurate to enable a seamless accurate experience for the user.
The Smart IVR provides proven return on investment for:
- Caller identification and authentication,
- 24/7 self-service,
- Automated directory assistance.
The deployment of the Smart IVR solution enabled the customers to opt for more self-service actions and also increased the accuracy of reaching the right agent for their queries. It reduced user frustration with IVR experiences, thereby enhancing the user satisfaction and returning impressive results:
- Increase in self-service automation rates to 73%: A big win in customer confidence is using the automated solution,
- Reduction in misrouted sales calls by 30%. A big customer pet peeve was landing in the wrong place, Spoken Communications (Now Avaya) Smart IVR customer was able to give their users a better and accurate experience,
- The Smart IVR Customers experienced a reduction in their AHT for technical support calls by 12%,
- Most importantly, overall sales conversion for one large consumer customer ultimately increased by 22% average (monthly over an annual basis), and first call resolution for another customer improved 18% (annualized).